USJA's National Promotion System is designed to ensure that ranks awarded reflect the technical expertise, character development, and overall contribution of the individual. This process requires the direct evaluation of all candidates.
(1) Candidates must meet certain minimum requirements to become eligible for promotion. They must then pass an exam and be recommended for promotion by their instructor/Certified Rank Examiner and provide the proper amount of documented USJA Activity Points.
(2) All recommendations for promotions must be submitted to the USJA National Office on the proper forms for approval.
(3) All candidates for promotion must be Active Annual or Sustaining Life Members of a USJA Chartered Club with the proper time in grade in the previous rank.
(4) A $35.00 non-refundable processing fee must accompany all Dan (black belt) rank (RFPs & RVPs) recommendations. The remainder of the fees must be remitted upon notification of successfully being promoted or validated.
(5) A current clear background check is required for all Dan (black belt) ranks by visiting the Background Screening Site.
(6) A current Safe Sport online certification - for all Dan (black belt) ranks.
(7) A current Heads-Up online certification - for all Dan (black belt) ranks .
(8) Promotions are done in accordance with USJA's National Promotion Board.
- Ranks below 4th Dan are reviewed by the Promotion Board Chair and National office.
- Ranks of 4th and 5th Dan are reviewed by a sub-committee of the Promotion Board.
- Ranks of 6th Dan and above are decided on during the Promotion Board's quarterly conference calls held each new quarter. Correct paperwork must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the call to be considered.
- Ranks above 8th Dan require the additional approval of the USJA's Board of Directors.
- Ranks of 4th Dan and above must all include a brief biography with a passport photo or jpg
Links to USJA Promotion Forms and to Purchase Manual:
|1st to 5th
|A@60 pts/yr / TIG/points||B@50 pts/yr / TIG/points||C@40 pts/yr / TIG/points||D@0 pts/yr
Required Rank or above
|1 Dan Black||1/60||2/50||3/40||5/0||(1) 2D|
|2 Dan Black||2/120||3/100||4/80||7/0||(1) CRE|
|3 Dan Black||4/200||5/180||6/150||9/0||(1) RCRE|
|4 Dan Black/Red||5/300||6/280||7/250||10/200||(1) NCRE|
|5 Dan Black/Red||6/360||7/350||8/320||11/220||(1) MCRE|
|6th to 10th
|A@90 pts/yr / TIG/points||B@70 pts/yr / TIG/points||C@50 pts/yr / TIG/points||D@30 pts/yr / TIF/points||Sign-off:
Required Rank or above
|6 Dan Red/White||7/630||8/560||9/450||12/360||(1) 6D MCRE & (1) 7D MCRE|
|7 Dan Red/White||8/720||9/630||10/500||13/390||(1) 7D MCRE & (1) 8D MCRE|
|8 Dan Red/White||9/810||10/700||11/550||14/420||(3) 8D MCRE|
|9 and 10 Dan Red||Promotion to these ranks is rare. The USJA Promotion Board and Board of Directors bestows these ranks based on a comprehensive review of the individual’s legacy of achievements as well as service to the USJA in terms of their effect nationally and internationally on the world judo community.|
High Dan Ranks applicant should be active at these levels:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Only those with documented activities at the highest levels are considered for high dan promotions. Sixty percent (60%) or more of the activities must be at the levels shown as follows or higher. Activities that include those for visually impaired (VI), such as Parapan Games, Para World, and Paralympics, also meet this requirement equally.