(1) All students must meet certain minimum requirements to become eligible for promotion. They must then pass an exam and be recommended for promotion by their instructor or a Certificated Rank Examiner for higher dans (black belts) and provide the proper amount of documented USJA Promotion Points.
(2) All recommendations for promotions must be submitted to the USJA National Office on the proper forms for approval.
(3) All candidates for promotion must be Active Annual or Sustaining Life Members of a USJA Chartered Club with the proper time in grade in the previous rank.
(4) A $35.00 non-refundable processing fee must accompany all dan black belt promotion recommendations (shodan and higher). The remainder of the promotion fee must be remitted on notification of successfully passing to the rank applied for.
(5) A completed and clear current background check is required for all Dans (black belt ranks) per the USJA’s Background Screening Policy. These can also be completed online at the Background Screen Application Site. In addition; Safe Sport and Heads-Up online certifications are also required.
(6) Promotions are done in accordance with USJA's National Promotion Board.
- Ranks below 4 Dan are processed by the office.
- Ranks of 4 and 5 Dan are reviewed by a sub-committee of the PB.*
- Ranks of 6 Dan and above are decided on during the PB's closed conference call held the first Thursday of each new quarter.*
(Note - RFP’s
must be submitted 2 weeks prior to the call to be considered at that time).
- Ranks above 8 Dan require the additional approval of the USJA's Board of Directors.*
* (these ranks also require a brief biography and a passport photo or jpg of the candidate)
Links to USJA Promotion Forms and to Purchase Manuals:
|1st to 5th
|A@60 pts/yr / TIG/points||B@50 pts/yr / TIG/points||C@40 pts/yr / TIG/points||D@0 pts/yr
Required Rank or above
|1 Dan Black||1/60||2/100||3/120||5/0||(1) 3D|
|2 Dan Black||2/120||3/150||6/160||7/0||(1) 4D|
|3 Dan Black||4/240||5/250||6/240||9/0||(1) 5D|
|4 Dan Black/Red||5/300||6/300||7/280||10/200||(2) 6D|
|5 Dan Black/Red||6/360||7/350||8/320||11/220||(2) 7D|
|6th to 10th
|A@90 pts/yr / TIG/points||B@70 pts/yr / TIG/points||C@50 pts/yr / TIG/points||D@30 pts/yr / TIF/points||Sign-off:
Required Rank or above
|6 Dan Red/White||7/630||8/560||9/450||12/360||(1)6D + (2)7D|
|7 Dan Red/White||8/720||9/630||10/500||13/390||(2)7D + (1)8D|
|8 Dan Red/White||9/810||10/700||11/550||14/420||(2)7D + (1)8D + (1)9D|
|9 and 10 Dan Red||Promotion to these ranks is rare. The USJA Promotion Board and Board of Directors bestows these ranks based on a comprehensive review of the individual’s legacy of achievements as well as service to the USJA in terms of their effect nationally and internationally on the world judo community.|
High Dan Ranks applicant should be active at these levels:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Only those with documented activities at the highest levels are considered for high dan promotions. Sixty percent (60%) or more of the activities must be at the levels shown as follows or higher. Activities that include those for visually impaired (VI), such as Parapan Games, Para World, and Paralympics, also meet this requirement equally.